WinField United Canada Privacy Notice
Effective Date: September 14, 2022.
This Notice is published by Winfield United Canada, ULC, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and related entities (the “Company,” “we,” “us,” and “our”).
We know that your privacy is important to you, and we work hard to earn and keep your trust. We have created this Notice to let you know what information we collect when you use our Services on or in connection with which this Notice is posted or referenced, how we use and share the information we collect on or in connection with those Services, and how we protect your privacy when you use those Services. Please note that different privacy notices or in some cases, Supplemental Notices (defined below) or other Additional Terms, may be applicable to certain Services.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to our intellectual property, including any data or content, that we own or license from third parties, nor does it apply to data which is publicly available, except as otherwise described herein.
- The term “Personal Information” refers to information that can be used to identify you personally, alone or in combination with other information available to us. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, your name, physical address, and e-mail address, however, various other types of Personal Information we collect and process are described below.
- The term “Notice” refers to this privacy notice.
- “Site” means any of our websites including those on which this Notice is posted or linked, and if this Notice is posted or linked from a different Service (e.g. a mobile application), references to this “Service” will refer to either that mobile application, or another Service on which this Notice is posted or linked.
- Our “Services” as described in the Additional Terms, include but are not limited to, our various Sites, mobile applications, agricultural technology tools, portals, platforms, programs (including without limitation our carbon programs including carbon market access programs), and other services, which may be provided to our members, customers, consumers, retailers, dealers, farmers, or others. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features that augment or enhance the current Services shall be subject to this Notice.
- “User-Generated Content” means any content you create or own and which you post or otherwise provide to us, or our Services, for the purpose of having such content made available on one of our Sites or in one of our Services, or for the purpose of sharing it publicly through one of our Services or otherwise making such content publicly available.
- Your Consent
Please take a few minutes to review this Notice before using any of our Services. By using any of our Services you are consenting to the collection, use, and disclosure of information as set forth in this Notice. If you do not agree to be bound by this Notice, you may not continue to access or use our Services.
3. Supplemental Privacy Notices
This Notice may be supplemented from time to time by additional “Supplemental Notices
” posted on or in connection with any of our Services. These Supplemental Notices provide a level of detail applicable to specific Services that we cannot provide in this more general description of our privacy practices. For example, certain pages of a Site may contain privacy notices providing details about the Personal Information we collect on those pages, why we need that Personal Information, and choices you may have about the ways we use and disclose that Personal Information, if different from what we have stated in this more general Notice.
- Categories and Sources of Information We Collect
The information we collect and the sources from which we collect it depends on what you do when using our Services. The following details the categories of information we collect, some of which include, but are not limited to, Personal Information, and the sources from which we collect such information. Note that the categories and sources of information outlined in this Notice reflect our practices for the 12-month period preceding the Effective Date of this Notice.
When you use our Services, we, or our third party service providers, may collect the following categories of information:
- Identity data, such as your name, e-mail address, fax number, mailing address, physical address, or phone numbers;
- Registration data, such as information provided when you register for an account to use one of our Services, including user names and passwords (please note that if you permit a third party to create your account for you, we may collect the registration data from that third party);
- Recruitment data, such as information submitted in connection with a job application or inquiry;
- Employment data, such as information you provide in relation to your place of employment, or related to your employees, depending on your role and your interaction with us and our Services;
- Marketing and communications data, including but not limited to your marketing preferences and your subscriptions to or permissions to receive our publications, emails, and SMS campaigns;
- Financial information, such as your credit card or other financial account information for the purpose of facilitating your purchase of products and services that may be available on our Services, in connection with our payments to you, and the administration of insurance or insurance-related claims;
- Transaction data, including, but not limited to, inquiries about and orders for our products and services and details of payments to and from you;
- Commercial/Farm/Ecosystem Data, including, but not limited to, farming practices and management data including without limitation data related to farms, fields and conservation, agricultural and agronomic practices, ESG, sustainability and ecosystem data, and any other agricultural and agronomic data;
- Event/Program registration information, such as information you provide when filling in e-registration forms or surveys related to our various events or programs;
- Audio/Visual data, including, but not limited to, recordings and images collected from our surveillance cameras when you visit our locations, as well as audio files and records, such as voice mails, call recordings, video from our use of drones, and the like;
- Inference Data, including, but not limited to, Personal Information used to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, market segments, likes, favorites and other data or analytics provided about you or your account by social media companies or data aggregators, including household data such as income, number of children, occupation, social grade, home ownership status, the products and services you use or intend to use or purchase, and your interests;
- Location data, such as data obtained from GPS when you have certain mobile application Services activated on your mobile device; and
- Your feedback, such as feedback from you about our Services as well as our products and services generally.
In addition to the above, when you use any of our Services, we may automatically collect the following categories of information:
- Usage data, including, but not limited to, information about how you use our Services, what pages you view, the number of bytes transferred, the links you click, the materials you access, the date and time you access the Services, the website from which you linked to one of our Sites and other actions taken within the Site(s) or Services; and
- Technical data, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your device ID, your browser type and capabilities and language and your operating system. An “IP address” is a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you connect to the Internet. It is used to identify your computer’s “location” in cyberspace, so that the information you request can be delivered to you.
We may collect the categories of information above from any of the following sources:
- Information You Volunteer. We collect information you and others knowingly and voluntarily provide when you use our Services or otherwise interact with us. For example, we collect the Personal Information you provide when you subscribe to one of our newsletters or alert services, review or comment on one of our products, or contact us with questions. If you post any User-Generated Content to our Services, please note that it may be visible to other users of our Services, and it must comply with our terms outlined in Section 5 below, as well as our Additional Terms. We may also collect information you volunteer if you enter into an agreement with us, such as to provide us with products or services (e.g. if you have entered a contract to provide us with milk, we would collect your tax ID number and bank account information to facilitate your payment).
- Information Provided by Partners (Including Dealers, Retailers, etc.). In some circumstances, we or you may have a relationship with a third party who provides us information about you. For example, if you are a farmer and your retailer has registered you for one of our Services, or you have consented to the disclosure of information about you or your farm to us by your retailer, that retailer may provide us information about you or provide Commercial/Farm/Ecosystem Data in connection with that Service and as contemplated in the relevant service agreement or Additional Terms. We may also have relationships with certain government agencies who may have data on farms or farmers, or other Personal Information, which they may share with us.
- Service Providers, Aggregators and Advertisers. We may receive Personal Information and other data from various companies who provide services on our behalf, including but not limited to ad networks, behavioral advertising vendors, market research, and similar companies that provide us with additional Personal Information such as Inference Data.
- Social Media Companies. We receive data from social media companies who may transfer Personal Information to us when you register for one of our Services or interact with that social media company on or in connection with our Services, products or brands.
- Data We Create and Infer. We, certain partners, social media companies, and third parties operating on our behalf create and infer Personal Information such as Inference Data or aggregate data based on our observations or analysis of other Personal Information processed under this Notice or Supplemental Notices, and we may correlate this data with other data we process about you. We may combine any Personal Information about you that we receive from you, from other companies within our family of companies, and from third parties.
- Information Sent to Us by Your Web Browser. We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your Web browser. This information typically includes, but is not limited to, your IP address, the identity of your Internet service provider, the name and version of your operating system, the name and version of your browser, the date and time of your visit, and the pages you visit. Please check your browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
- Information Sent to Us by Mobile Applications. If you have one of our mobile applications installed on your mobile device, we will collect information regarding the mobile device on which you install the application, as well as your registration data if you register for the application. We may also, subject to notification or consent if required by law, track the location of your device, and other data you may scan or log into the mobile application, as well as information relating to your use of the mobile application.
Generally, if you do not wish to receive cookies, you may set your browser to reject cookies or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer. Although you are not required to accept cookies when you visit our Site(s), you may be unable to use all of the functionality of our Site(s) (or some of our other Services) if your browser rejects our cookies.
We use the following categories of cookies on our Services.
- Collect information about the ways visitors use our Services—which pages they visit, which links they use, and how long they stay on each page;
- Support the features and functionality of our Services—for example, to save you the trouble of reentering information already in our database or to prompt the settings you established on previous visits; and
- Personalize your experience when you use our Services.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Services and use their features. Without these cookies, certain functionality such as maintaining a record of your purchased items (e.g. a shopping cart), cannot be provided.
- Performance Cookies. These cookies collect anonymous information on how you use our Services, to help us understand, for example, how you arrive at one of our Sites, how you may browse or use our Sites, and highlight areas where we can improve, such as navigation.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies remember certain choices you make when you use one of our Services, such as if you select content for a specific region or type of company/crop or individual, and your search parameters. This information can then be used to provide you with an experience more appropriate to your selections and to make your visits to our Services more tailored to your preferences. The information in these cookies may be anonymized. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
We may also use other tracking technologies on or in connection with our Services.
- Targeting Cookies or Advertising Cookies. These cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. The cookies are usually placed by third-party advertising networks. These cookies remember the websites you visit and that information may be shared with other parties such as advertisers.
- Web Beacons. A Web Beacon is an electronic image. Web Beacons can track certain things from your computer and can report activity back to a web server allowing us to understand some of your behavior. If you choose to receive emails from us, we may use Web Beacons to track your reaction to our emails. We may also use them to track if you click on the links and at what time and date you do so. Some of the third-party marketers we engage with may use Web Beacons to track your interaction with online advertising banners on our Site(s). This information is only collected in aggregate form and will not be linked to your Personal Information. Please note that any image file on a webpage can act as a Web Beacon.
- Embedded Web Links. Links provided in our emails and, in some cases, on third-party websites may include various tracking technology embedded in the link. The tracking is accomplished through a redirection system. The redirection system allows us to understand how the link is being used by email recipients. Some of these links will enable us to identify that you have personally clicked on the link and this may be attached to the Personal Information that we hold about you. This data is used to improve our service to you and to help us understand the performance of our marketing campaigns.
- User-Generated Content
The User-Generated Content you submit on or through our Services may be available to others who visit our Services. In addition, we may use User-Generated Content you submit on or through our Services in advertising campaigns and other promotions. We may or may not use your name in connection with such use, and we may or may not seek your consent before using the User-Generated Content for such purposes. Therefore, you should have no expectation of privacy with respect to User-Generated Content you submit on or through our Services. You should not submit any User-Generated Content you do not wish to make available to the general public, and you must take special care to make sure your submissions comply with our Additional Terms. All applicable terms and conditions of our Additional Terms apply to User-Generated Content submitted on or through our Services. In particular, your submissions must not violate the privacy or other rights of others.
- Use of Information Collected
We may use the information we collect through our Services, or which is otherwise provided to us as described within this Notice, for several purposes, including as follows:
- to provide the information, products and services you request;
- for security, credit or fraud prevention purposes;
- to provide you with effective customer service;
- to help inform your decisions or the decisions of those assisting you;
- to assist you in making purchasing decisions;
- to provide you with a personalized experience when you use our Services;
- to contact you with special offers and other information we believe may be of interest to you (in accordance with any privacy preferences you have expressed to us);
- to contact you with information and notices related to your use of our Services;
- to invite you to participate in programs or surveys and provide feedback to us (in accordance with any privacy preferences you have expressed to us);
- to better understand your (and your company’s or your farm’s, or your customers’ companies’ or farms’) needs and interests;
- to test, populate, improve or enhance the content, functionality, usability, efficiency, or other aspects of our Services or our business;
- to generate and review scores, reports and data about candidates for and participants in our various Services, or to analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability or popularity of our Services;
- to improve our products and services, and for other research and development activities;
- in connection with, or to improve, our marketing and promotional efforts, including to send marketing materials via postal mail, email, and push notifications within our Services, and to facilitate marketing related to our partners, and/or third party service or technology providers whose products are integrated with our Services;
- for compliance with legal or regulatory obligations;
- to facilitate notifications related to recalls or other product/service issues; and
- for any other purpose identified in an applicable privacy notice, click-through agreement or other agreement between you and us, including but not limited to any Supplemental Notices, or Additional Terms.
Where you use our Services, you give us consent to contact you as outlined above in accordance with applicable laws. Subject to applicable laws, you may opt-out of such communications by contacting us at Privacy@landolakes.com.
In addition to the uses described above, if you utilize certain Services, we may use information we receive to produce specific output, including scores and reports, perform analyses, and to de-identify and/or aggregate such information with other data including data from other users of the same Service, or our other Services, where we own and can freely use such de-identified or aggregated data, each as described in the applicable Additional Terms.
Some of the information we collect using cookies and other Web technologies include Personal Information such as your IP address, and other information may be linked to your IP address. In addition, if you have created a user identity, for example, by registering with one of our Services, we may link the Personal Information you have provided with the information we collect using cookies and other Web technologies, which may enable us to determine whether you have visited the Site before and if so, to make your experience more helpful.
Also, if your Web browser sends us your IP address and you register with one of our Services, we may link that IP address to the Personal Information you provided as part of such registration. We may also provide your IP address to our third-party service providers who can use it to identify your state and zip code. This gives us valuable demographic information about the individuals who use our Services. In addition, if we suspect fraud or a threat to the security of any of our Services, we may share our server logs—which contain users’ IP addresses—with the appropriate investigative authorities, who could use that information to trace and identify individuals.
Some of our Services may track users over time and across third-party websites, typically with regard to marketing or pricing data. Our Services do not currently respond to web-browser Do Not Track (“DNT
”) signals. However, you can exercise other choices related to marketing as further described below.
- Sharing of Information
We may share any of the Personal Information or other information we collect or which is otherwise provided to us through our Services as follows:
- Our Affiliated Entities. We may share information with our various affiliated entities. Those entities may use the information to improve our collective communications and offerings, to share information with you about products or services they believe may be of interest to you, and for other business purposes.
- Third–Party Vendors. We may share information including Personal Information with third-party vendors who act for or on behalf of our Company or our customers. For example, we use third-party vendors to design and operate our Site(s); to process payments when you make purchases on our Sites; to conduct surveys; to perform audits (including to confirm information required in connection with participation in certain Services); to develop and facilitate various programs for us, including but not limited to Services, for us; and to help us with our promotional efforts (which may include social media companies). These third-party vendors may need information about you to perform their functions. We may also use third-party service providers to perform data collection, social sharing, marketing, site analytics, relationship management, confirming your information is accurate, soil sampling, imaging, verification, functions related to analyzing and improving the usefulness, reliability, user experience, and operation of our Services, storing data, and as otherwise described in this Notice.
- Partners (Including Dealers, Retailers, etc.). We may share certain information with third parties with whom we have various types of agreements or relationships. For example, if you utilize certain Services through your retailer, dealer or hauler, we will share with them the data input and processed and reports generated through those Services in accordance with any applicable Additional Terms. We may inform your retailer in connection with your consideration of or application to participate in certain Services, and then in connection with your actual participation in the Services, if applicable. We may also share certain information with third party programs or service providers who are integrated with, or with whom we collaborate relative to, our Services, or with whom we otherwise do business including to generate information from products and services offered by such third-party service providers. For certain Services, we may share information with registries in connection with tracking, verification and certification of our Services, or with institutes and universities with regard to quantification of carbon credit(s) and other purposes in connection with our carbon programs, as well as sharing with customers and potential customers of carbon credits and other ecosystem assets. If we have entered into agreements with third parties and we receive a consumer complaint or inquiry regarding their products or services, we will forward that information to them so that they may respond. We may also share information including Personal Information with these providers and partners for their direct marketing and promotional purposes and so they can provide services to you. In addition, we may share information including Personal Information with advertisers in connection with some of our Services, for use in their advertising and marketing.
- Business Transfers. The information we collect may be transferred to a successor organization if, for example, we transfer the ownership or operation of one of our Services to another organization or if we merge with another organization. If such a transfer occurs, the successor organization’s use of the information we collect will still be subject to this Notice and the privacy preferences you have expressed to us.
- Compliance with Laws and Protection of Our Rights and the Rights of Others. We may disclose the information we collect when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law, a court order or a subpoena. We may also disclose the information we collect to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft, to protect the security of our Services, to enforce or apply our Additional Terms or other agreements; to notify affected individuals in the event of a product recall or other issue, or to protect our own rights or property or the rights, property or safety of our users or others.
- As Described in a Supplemental Notice. We reserve the right to disclose the information we collect as described in any Supplemental Notice or other privacy notice posted on or in connection with our Services where you provide that information. By providing the information on that page you will be consenting to the disclosure of the information as described in that privacy notice, if any.
- As Described in an Agreement. We reserve the right to disclose the information we collect as described in any agreement or Additional Terms.
- Your Choices
We respect your right to make choices about the ways we collect, use and share the information we collect. In some cases, we will ask you to indicate your choices at the time we collect the information. For example, if you sign up for any of our emails or SMS notices, or register with certain Services, we provide you with an opportunity to “opt out” of receiving certain communications from us. In addition, we will include an “opt out” link in each electronic newsletter or other promotional e-mail we send you, so that you can inform us that you do not wish to receive such communications from us in the future. You may discontinue receiving our SMS alerts by taking the steps indicated in the SMS alert you received, by following instructions on our Service related to the specific campaign, or by using our data request form located here.
- How to Access, Update or Correct Personal Information
If you wish to access, update or correct certain Personal Information, please contact us via this link to access our data request form. We will respond to you within a reasonable time and, in any case, within the time limits established by applicable law. We may ask you for additional information to verify your identity. In most cases, we will provide access and correct or delete any inaccurate information you discover. In some cases, however, we may limit or deny your request if the law permits or requires us to do so or if we are unable to verify your identify.
10. Verifying Data Requests
Any consumer request relating to your Personal Information must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative thereof.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
If we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the consumer request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you, we will not be able to process your request or provide you with any Personal Information. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
We may decline to process consumer requests that are frivolous, jeopardize the privacy of others, are impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. We may also decline aspects of deletion or access requests if we believe doing so would undermine our legitimate use of the Personal Information for anti-fraud and security purposes as described earlier, or for other reasons as permitted by applicable law. Once a consumer request is either confirmed or denied, an email notification will be sent to the email submitted as part of the consumer request.
- Storage and Steps We Take to Safeguard Information
We maintain reasonable administrative, physical and technological measures to protect the confidentiality and security of Personal Information you submit on or through our Services. Unfortunately, no website, server or database is completely secure and we cannot guarantee that your Personal Information or other information will not be disclosed, misused or lost by accident or by the unauthorized acts of others.
We retain your Personal Information only as long as reasonable to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected, or for legal or business purposes.
If you are based in Canada, we or our service providers may store and/or process your Personal Information outside of Canada (including, but not limited to, in the United States of America). When information is stored or processed outside of Canada, it may be subject to the laws and be accessible by legal authorities in such other jurisdictions. We have taken appropriate technical, organizational, and legal steps to secure this information.
- Children Under the Age of Sixteen
Our Services are not intended for anyone under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any Personal Information on our Services. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from anyone under 16 years of age. If you are under 16 years of age, do not use or provide any information on our Services. If we learn that we have collected or received Personal Information from a person under 16 years of age without verification of parental consent and supervision, we will delete such Personal Information. If you believe that a person under 16 years of age has submitted Personal Information on or through any of our Services without the consent and supervision of a parent or guardian, please contact us at Privacy@landolakes.com
- Other Sites
- This Notice May Change
This Notice describes our current policies and practices with regard to the information we collect through our Services.
We are continually improving and adding to the features and functionality of our Services along with the products and services we offer through our Services. As a result of these changes (or changes in the law), we may need to update or revise this Notice. Accordingly, we reserve the right to update or modify this Notice at any time, without prior notice, by posting the revised version of this Notice behind the link marked “Privacy Notice” at the bottom of each applicable page of our Services. Your continued use of any of our Services after we have posted the revised Notice constitutes your agreement to be bound by the revised Notice. In addition, we will provide you with notice of proposed new uses of collected information as may be required by applicable law.
For your convenience, whenever this Notice is changed, we will also alert you by posting a notice on our home page. We will also update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page. If significant time has elapsed since your last visit to our Services, be sure you check the Effective Date to see if this Notice has been revised since your last visit.